Tuesday, August 7, 2012

August 6 Santa Barbara to Reseda

I woke up not feeling that great. My ankle was swollen again and hurting.  I packed my cycling stuff in my day pack with the intention of riding in the van the fist segment and then getting out at the start of segment two to ride the rest of the way.  I slept the first 25 miles in the van.  We stopped like along the beach for the first rest stop.  It was beautiful, and I thought about putting my cycling clothes on and riding, but it was starting to get warm.

I made the right decision not to ride. By the time we reached the second rest stop it was 90 degrees and over 100 by the third rest stop.  With the antibiotic I am on, I would have died ridig in such heat and direct sunlight for 5 hours plus.  It was almost unbearable in the van at rest stops.

Tomorrow we may or may not have a completely free day. It is a no ride day, but it is suppose to be a build day.  The build day has been cancelled, but we may do some volunteer work in the community or at the church.  It was still in the 90's at 9 PM at night.

Our host church is Kirk of the Valley, PC USA.  There is a clergy couple who co-pastor the church.  They are Princeton grads.  The husband grew up in San Diego.  The sanctuary is set up for worship in the round and has a full sound booth and instruments for a full band.  The church has a K through 5 school as well.  It appears to be a very happening place and according to the pastors the facility functions as both church and community gathering space.

No comments:

Post a Comment